Articles on Nations:
Alcohol Prayer Initiative 2009, New York
CAN EUROPE BE SAVED?
CHURCH SUPPORTING POLITICS
CONGO-KINSHASA, A REMARKABLE CONFERENCE
CORPORATE IDENTITY OF AFRICA
CORPORATE IDENTITY OF AMSTERDAM
CORPORATE IDENTITY OF AUSTRALIA
CORPORATE IDENTITY OF BELGIUM
CORPORATE IDENTITY OF BRAZIL
CORPORATE IDENTITY OF FRANCE
CORPORATE IDENTITY OF HUNGARY
CORPORATE IDENTITY OF KOREA
CORPORATE IDENTITY OF SOUTH AFRICA
CORPORATE IDENTITY of SWEDEN
CORPORATE IDENTITY OF THE USA
COVERING AN AREA WITH PRAYER
Dialogue with Jacques Ellul
DURBAN II ≈ EVIAN III; NEW ANTISEMITISM
EUROPA – AFRIKA; Indrukwekkende Conferentie
EUROPA – AFRIKA; verzoeningsconferentie dvd
EUROPE - AFRICA; Berlin Congo I: Hist. Overview
EUROPE - AFRICA; Berlin Congo II: Report
EUROPE - AFRICA; Neo-Imperialism
Gebed voor de koning
GEBEDSBEDEKKING VAN EEN GEBIED
GOD'S COVENANT WITH ALL NATIONS
HOW TO DEFEND WHICH BORDERS OF ISRAEL?
ISRAEL’s RESPONSIBILITY 1
ISRAEL’s RESPONSIBILITY 2
ISRAEL’s RESPONSIBILITY 3
ISRAEL’s RESPONSIBILITY 4
Landbelofte of staatbelofte?
LOVING THE CITY GOD'S WAY
MIRACLES AT CITY SCALE
NATIVE AMERICANS, THREE DRAMA'S
NESTOR AFRICAN PRESIDENTS FORGIVES EUROPE
SLAVERY AND HEALING
SPIRITUAL ASPECTS OF THE EUROPEAN UNION
THE CITY AS BEAUTIFUL AS SHE COULD BE
THE CITY, AND WHY CITY PRAYER?
TRANSFORMATIONS IN THE PACIFIC
TWO CITIES DEDICATED TO KING JESUS
ÜBERSETZUNG THE NATIONS CALLED
VERZOENING MET NATIVE AMERICANS
WHY IS AFRICA SO POOR?
ZES LANDEN RIJNPROJECT
ZONDER VERZOENING GEEN TOEKOMST
Articles on Society:
A REVEALING UN-MEETING
A strategic assault on this generation of children
BOEK BOS ANTIDEMOCRATISCH?
CHILDREN OF THE WORLD TARGETED
COPENHAGEN – Five questions
COPENHAGEN - No bread from stones
Copenhagen, where do we go from here?
DE ANDERE AGENDA VAN DE DALAI LAMA
DE OLYMPISCHE SPELEN
EU: HUMANISME VERSUS “GOD”
EUROPA, WAAROM DIE NAAM?
EUROPE, WHAT'S IN THE NAME?
EVROPA - CO SKRÝVÁ TO JMÉNO?
EYPΩΠH, TI KPYBETAI ΣTO ONOMA
HER-MYTHOLOGISERING INTERNATIONALE POLITIEK?
Informed intercession for the UN
Jezus dienaar van Moeder Aarde?
KERK-STAAT VERHOUDING 1
KERK-STAAT VERHOUDING 2
KERK-STAAT VERHOUDING 3 (EU-Referendum)
KERK-STAAT VERHOUDING 4
Massa op Malieveld; nee toch?
MICRO FINANCING AND GRACE
MONDIALE SCHUDDINGEN I
MONDIALE SCHUDDINGEN II
Obama 1: Obama en het leven
Obama 2: Door Obama een les voor de kerk
PRAYING FOR THE G8
PULLING DOWN STRONGHOLDS
RE-MYTHOLOGISATION 0 OF INTERNATIONAL POLITICS?
RE-MYTHOLOGISATION 1: CHURCH-STATE/GOD-STATE
RE-MYTHOLOGISATION 2: GOD-STATE LINK IN OUR TIME
RE-MYTHOLOGISATION 3: EU AND UN “COVENANTS”
RE-MYTHOLOGISATION 4:GOD-STATE IN NEAR FUTURE
RE-MYTHOLOGISATION 5: WHAT ABOUT GOD’S MASTER PLAN
THINKING AND BELIEVING IN THE CHURCH
THINKING, BELIEVING AND SCIENCE
UN-DUURZAAMHEIDS TOP IN JOHANNESBURG
WHAT HAPPENS AT UN CONFERENCES?
WORLD SUMMIT ON SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
A NATION AS A TREE?
Belijden van de zonden van je land?
BIDDEN VOOR HOOGGEPLAATSTEN
BLOED SCHREEUWT VAN DE AARDE
GODEN DER VOLKEN
'GODS OF THE NATIONS'
HERSTEL VAN HET ALTAAR
HET KRUIS VAN JEZUS
JEZUS KOMT - drie voordrachten
NBV, COMMENTAAR OP ÉÉN ASPECT
OOK TOPCONFERENTIES IN DE BIJBEL GAAN OVER VOLKEN
THE CROSS OF JESUS
THE GLORY OF HIERARCHY
TITHING AND ETERNITY
Informed intercession for the UN
by: Helene Bos
Praying for the UN
An absolutely amazing event took place in September 2007 when many intercessors, among them also some child-intercessors, from all continents were interceding for the UN, in the very headquarters of the UN. Intercessors for the UN from New York and the greater US joined us. A number of ambassadors were prayed for. And the name of God as sovereign ruler of the world, the Lord of the universe, was lifted up in worship and prayer.
During more than ten years I attended a number of UN-global conferences and consultations and G-7/8 meetings. Besides listening to the viewpoints of UN-leaders, delegates (and often NGO’s) during discussions, I also connected with many journalists,
scientists, lawyers, who for many years have been observers of the UN. Over the years I also have come to know, and become friends with, some UN-staff workers.
Gradually I became familiar with the language, the jargon and the specific definitions, that is also used by the other global institutions and by spokesmen for G-7/8 meetings.
For intercessors for the UN, I have, out of my experience, composed six prayer sheets (A4) on six relevant topics, each with background info. I am fully responsible for these prayer-points.
1: Praying for leaders, workers, lobbyists and new connections.
2: Praying into the spiritual foundation of the UN.
3: Praying into the loss of sovereignty of member states.
4: Praying into the emerging new world religion.
5: Prayers concerning the spirit of death in modern society.
6: Praying into the UN-conversion of the creation mandate.
Of course these topics are a selection. The information on the sheets serves, in a very condensed way, the intercessor with relevant background information, or with new relevant and related prayer-points. It is not a lecture. I trust that they still help intercessors that are burdened to pray for this organization, to do so in an informed way.
The issues I touch on are quite difficult. I give background information that you normally don’t receive through (most of) the media. I have heard secretaries-general speak, heard chairwomen and chairmen speak, seen how they chaired meetings and press conferences, and how they treated opponents. That was often revealing.
I also share spiritual understanding that I received myself or that others received from the Lord.
These prayer points and even more the background information illustrate that we should not be naive in our thinking and expectation concerning the UN. Informed intercession with faith and without presumption, that is what we are asked to
Prayer point 1: For leaders, workers, lobbyists and new connections.
The Lord will rule over the UN through the prayers of His children. But we need to learn much in this area. Presumptuous prayers bring no blessing, and bear no fruit.
Will the Lord use the UN for His own plans? As He did with the Chaldeans in a time of judgment, Habakuk 1: 5,6a? Or as Assyria as He used them as a rod of His anger, Isaiah 10:5?
- Pray for the Christians who work at the UN, that they may be the Lords instrument for His purposes in the place where they serve.
For good relationships with colleagues; that they may discern what purposes are being served by their labour. That they will be strong against intimidation and manipulation. For open ears that they know what the Lord tells them, also regarding continuing with their work, or leaving. That they will/can serve their boss and their colleagues in uprightness and righteousness and in wisdom and love. That they have the courage to withstand the desire to impress others, to be glamorous.
- Pray for their protection, spiritually, physically, and psychologically. Especially when pressures rise.
- Pray for those who are in leadership at the UN:
The problems in this world are so huge that no person in his own strength and wisdom can give a clear answer and good guidance. May the leaders in the global institutions have the humility to acknowledge this, and may they turn to Him who is the source of all wisdom.
May they, if they were involved in unrighteousness, acknowledge their part and receive forgiveness and everlasting life through the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross. May they be cleansed from the cobwebs in their thinking that keeps them imprisoned, and may they grow in righteousness. Pray especially for rhe Secretary-General. That he may fight corruption, ann will have the courage to change structures and habits that are harmful for the service of the UN.
- Pray for Gods children on dangerous missions:
For protection, discernment, guidance, for faithfullness to their wives/husbands, for determination not to follow the majority in evil and sinful behavior, for courage to be accountible for one’s behavior. May they experience the Lord’s presence in lonely positions.
Pray Psalm 91: 1-6 over them.
- Pray for the Christian lobbyists at the UN. The pro-life and pro-family lobbyists have been very faithful for many years, and they were often looked down upon. Their perseverance and knowledgeability have brought much fruit: the public has become much more aware of what happens at the UN and at UN-conferences during the last ten, twelve years. Their presence in the building at crucial moments and their willingness to explain issues to ignorant delegates have contributed to the prevention of a number of evil developments.
It is a very challenging, often also a discouraging and tiring assignment
- Thank for (pastoral) workers who have developed good connections with (some) officials, delegates and workers. They serve behind the scenes, reaching out with the love and truth of the Lord. May they persevere, when the population of workers is changing a lot.
- Thank for (an increase of) intercessors for the global institutions. May through their prayers evil plans be thwarted, righteousness be restored, suffering people be helped. May through pro-life intercession the killing of hugh numbers of babies with the (moral) support of the UN and its connected ngo’s decrease, and stop. May that stronghold come down, and may there come an end to the global bloodshedding through abortion.
- Thank the Lord for opening doors to godly speakers from outside who have an anointing to bring the gospel to the workers in and delegates to the UN. Thank Him that hearts and lives are changed through their messages.
- Is this a window of opportunities or a real new development? But either way: may it be used to the max. May their messages open hearts for the Gospel, renew many lives, and bear much fruit of righteousness among those who work at the UN and connected agencies.
Prayer point 2: Praying into the spiritual foundation of the UN.
The UN has assumed from their beginning to be the (sole) organisation that is able to bring peace and security to the world’’ and “”to create a better world for all”. This Babylonian assumption is a spiritual foundation under the UN that defiles its policies.
Christians confess that only Jesus, the Prince of Peace, through His work of reconciliation on the cross, can unite nations in righteous and lasting peace.
Background information on the UN.
The UN was not founded because of sudden catastrophic events. The history preceding the establishment of this organization shows that it was the result of older plans to establish abasically anti-christian, one-world government. This is not conspiracy-thinking, serious researchers have provided ample evidence for it. Though many workers at the UN may not be aware of this goal, and though the initial purposes had to be adjusted regularly, when we pray for the UN we need to realize that the spiritual goals play a defining role until they are confessed and withdrawn.
Already Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels stated in 1848 that three world wars would be necessary to wipe out a number of peoples and races, from the face of the earth, in the name of progress.
- In 1871 the head of the Italian masonry stated as their main purpose: to rid not just Europe but the entire world of Christianity, and to bring it under the leadership of Lucifer. He also suggested that three very bloody world wars would be needed so that eventually every nation would surrender its national sovereignty to an international government in order to prevent this to be repeated.. As many national governments are not eager to surrender their national sovereignty, strategies had to be developed and adjusted, continually. Some key-points:
- 1921: establishment of the Committee on Foreign Relations (CFR) by Freemasons in the US. ”The ultimate aim of the CFR …is…to create a one-world socialist system and make the United States an official part of it”.
- 1941, two weeks (!!) after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour, Dec.’41, involving the US in WWII, representatives of 26 nations pledged “to continue fighting together against “the Axis Powers”. US President Franklin D. Roosevelt then coined the name: United Nations. This was the second attempt to establish a new world order.
- 1945, representatives of 50 countries met in San Francisco at the United Nations Conference on International Organization, to draw up the United Nations Charter. June ’45 the UN came into existence, when 50 nations ratified the Charter.
Over the years top-political leaders openly referred to/pleaded for a one-world government and a new world order. Several Secretary-generals’ of the UN have implicitly or explicitly stated that the UN should be the one-world government.
Now, 60 years later after the founding of the UN, the organization still claims to be the only body through which universal peace and security will be realized:
- 8 September 2000 the General Assembly adopted the “UN Millennium Declaration”:
Chapter I. Values and principles: 1. We, heads of State and Government, have gathered at United Nations Headquarters in New York from 6 to 8 September 2000, at the dawn of a new millennium, to reaffirm our faith in the Organization and its Charter as indispensable foundations of a more peaceful, prosperous and just world.
Chapter VIII. Strengthening the United Nations: 29. We will spare no effort to make the United Nations a more effective instrument for pursuing all of these priorities: the fight for development for all the peoples of the world, the fight against poverty, ignorance and disease; the fight against injustice; the fight against violence, terror and crime; and the fight against the degradation and destruction of our common home.
Ibid: 32. We solemnly reaffirm, on this historic occasion, that the United Nations is the indispensable common house of the entire human family, through which we will seek to realize our universal aspirations for peace, cooperation and development. We therefore pledge our unstinting support for these common objectives and our determination to achieve them.
- These assumptions go way beyond the founding charter of 1945 (which did not include any clause concerning the environment) and unashamedly focus on a one-world government, anticipating a stated (man-made) “better world for all”.
Prayer point 3: Praying into the loss of sovereignty of member states.
- Pray that governments will be able to discern which relation is good or not good for their nation, and that the controlling strategy of the UN will come to light. (Habakkuk; Isaiah 59).
- Pray that they will be able to withstand the pressure to sign treaties and of “monitoring bodies”.
- and that ways will be found to step out of harmful treaties (An African minister characterized their national relation to the UN: “We are like a goat on a string ”).
Background information on UN strategies towards internationalization of world politics.
- Establishing many agencies, divisions, commissions and committees and adding them to the structure of the UN, and assigning power and authority to them. E.g. the World Bank Group, the WHO, IMF, IMO, the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW, 1947),; Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW); UN-Convention on Biological Diversity, 1992, and others, each with their subsections.
- Adding new “human rights” by re-interpreting the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, formulated in 1948. Prioritizing some human rights over others. Putting committees and unauthorized “monitoring bodies” in place to control the implementation.
- Elevating problems to a general global level, on which the UN alone (together with its numerous agencies) is “supposed to be able” to provide solutions, thus making herself an indispensable body for dealing with almost all areas of life at global scale.
- Organizing numerous conferences and conventions a year, bi-, tri- and multi-lateral, on regional, national and global “concerns”, each issuing a Plan of Action, which needs to be followed up and, in time, ratified and then implemented as international law.
- Co-operating with many authors who function as opinion-influencers. When many authors seem to be consistent about some topic, readers are more or less brainwashed into that very opinion. When a certain opinion becomes general, the UN interprets it as custom, which has been established (by UN-treaties) as a source for international law.
-- Establishing agencies for which the Charter has not mandated the UN. E.g. In 1972 the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) was established, though the Charter does not give a mandate for the environment. Through UNEP, responsibility is assumed for large areas of the earth and for its resources, for nature, the animal world. The UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (1982) “regulates in a comprehensive way numerous maritime issues” . However, this means that it brings territorial and international seas (this is 70% of the surface of the earth!) under the control of a committee under the UN. In 2004 A World Association of United Cities and Local Governments was founded; the UN has the final authority over the associated cities, in stead of the national governments.
- Redefining of standards and introducing new concepts, resulting in “UN-speak”, a kind of jargon, being used by the global institutions, the G-8, many NGO’s and increasingly by national governments. This terminology is hard to understand for delegates coming to conferences, the media, and even for governments, and therefore deceptive. Eg. with the word “democracy’’ the UN means not so much “representative’’ democracy, by elected representatives, as ‘’participatory’’ democracy, by (non-elected!) NGO’s who claim to “’represent’’ their (assumed) civil society. After the Cold War the concept of Security was redefined by the UN and added to many issues: Militairy security, food security, water security, health security, climate security, etc. etc. For all these new areas new responsibilities were assumed and had to be taken care of by numerous committees and agencies. It became a holistic concept. In the same kind of way this happened to the concept of Sustainability. The values honoured by the UN are: Freedom, Equality, Solidarity and Tolerance. These are the humanist values that came out of the French Revolution. They may seem to correspond with the Christian values, yet their content is not in harmony with the teachings of the Bible.
Prayer point 4: Praying into the emerging new world religion.
- Pray for discernment of the deceptive language of New Age, and for the courage to take our stand and withstand religious concepts wrapped in politically correct formulations.
- Repent for, also our own, desire for self-realization and “development”. That is idolatry. Real “development” is God developing Christ’s character in us.
- Repent that the Church has adjusted to New Age concepts and uncritically taken on a post-modern outlook on life, denying Jesus who is the Way, the Truth and the Life, and in whose name alone is salvation.
- Pray that the Church will grow in understanding of her responsibility for her nation and for political involvement, not the least in the area of justice.
Background information on the religious drift in the UN.
- The prayer room in the UN HQ is looked after by the Lucis Trust (founded in 1929 as Lucifer Trust(!), in 1932 renamed Lucis Trust). This trust was founded by Alice Bailey (1880-1949), one of the main founders of the New Age philosophy. The Lucis Trust has "Consultative Status", permitting it a close working relationship with UN-bodies and participation in the weekly sessions. About Bailey: she wrote some 27 books, messages she received in trance from a guiding spirit, Djawal Khul, or “the Tibetan”, who said that he was an avatar (a Hindu concept of a god or goddess living on earth, sometimes in a human body). The Tibetan speaks condescendingly and depreciatingly about Jesus, challenges humanity to break away from tradition, to revolt from authority, and to exercise self-determination, and to find the centre of knowledge in themselves. A specially chosen group, united in all kinds of groups and networks, is working behind the scenes, in governments, science, industry, finance, world economics, international relationships and as educators or religious leaders. They commit themselves to “the Plan” through which man will become omnipresent, and able to take steps to co-operate with “Those (capital T) who are responsible for the working out of the will of God.” Thus, “New Age” will be a time, free of the control of Christianity. Society will/must be liberated from the ‘’constraints” of the church. The influence is noticeble in the undermining of the institutions of marriage and family, in the approach to sexuality, divorce, and parent-children relationship; also in the teaching of children at a young age to become ‘’planetary citizens’’ through self-realization, to be their own authority and to depreciate ‘’older’’ (Biblical) values.
- Mankind (that is: the ‘’best kind of them’’) will develop continually when new opportunities open up and new choices become available. The movement is upward and forward. Once these new choices are available one should/must make new choices, and one should not be limited in any way. In order that humanity will grow into being omni-present, and open for omni-science, governments need to make the choices possible and have no right to set limitations. (This creates so many dilemmas and so many problems for them, morally and financially, that impartial governing becomes almost impossible! And in the end societies become destabilized beyond repair).
- The “Right to Development” has been declared to be the most important human right, by Mary Robinson when she was the High Commissioner for Human Rights (HCHR). It has priority over all the other human rights (and religious freedoms). This is what is meant with Development in the Millennium Development Goals. The teachings of Bailey and the Tibetan are a “modernised” version of Genesis 3: “You will not die” but “be as God”. Believing to be god in themselves, the New Age believers are convinced that they will change into corporate godliness.
- There are two sides to the Lucis' agenda: the influencing (manipulation) of high positioned politicians towards a New World Order, and the manipulation through occult means to manifest the Plan of the Hierarchy, so establishing the new world religion, in which Lucifer is worshiped.
- These philosophies are some of the backgrounds in UN-thinking, which strongly dominates the discussions during all these huge international conferences (five of which I attended), often not without aggressive intimidation of opponents. This is what Pro Life lobbyists are facing all the time. The UN has become the vehicle of the emerging of a new world religion.
Prayer point 5: Prayers concerning the spirit of death in modern society.
- The sexual and reproductive “rights”, consistently promoted by the (IPPF in the) UN, are opposed to Yahweh’s ordinances to live by; but the western world has accepted these values. “Reproductive rights” are NOT ’human rights’; the right to life of the unborn IS. Yet per year around 50 million abortions take place. The IPPF has undermined values regarding sexuality, faithfulness and marriage and family values, and has implicitly furthered the spread of STD’s. Ignoring/accepting these sins corrodes our morality. We, our societies, nations, and also our churches have become corrupted. Let us repent.
- Many of our governments are supporting the IPPF and the UNFPA. That brings a curse on our nations; compare. Genesis 4:10; Ezekiel 22:3,4. Let us repent.
Background information on life-issues in the UN.
- “More children from the fit, less from the unfit, that is the chief aim of birth control” and “Birth Control: to create a race of thoroughbreds”. This is a quote from Margaret Sanger, founder of the IPPF. Her ideology has greatly influenced feminism, which in turn has a very strong influence in the strategies of the UN. Margaret Sanger (1879-1966) was a socialist and eugenicist. She founded the first abortion clinic in the US, believing that birth control would relieve the poor of their poverty and society from the “human weeds’’. Sanger admired Hitler, and vice versa, and her convictions, that there are peoples who should not pro-create, such as Jews and Africans, received support also among leaders in Great–Britain, the US, Japan. In 1942, during WWII, to hide her eugenetic motives, Sanger changed the name of her movement euphemistically into “Planned Parenthood Federation of America”. In 1952 the International Planned Parenthood Federation, the IPPF, was founded. Sanger (herself a sex-addict) promoted absolute sexual freedom (now for 5 genders). Later she stated ”The marriage bed is the most degenerating influence in the social order” , the first clear attack on the institution of marriage. While the first wave of feminism demanded equality for women, the second wave demanded absolute sexual freedom, no-fault divorce, access to birth control possibilities including abortion on demand, “reproductive rights/health’’. Sanger’s Research Bureau helped finance the development of the pill, as she wanted to break the relation between sexuality and fertility. The pill has changed the world. IPPF has stimulated teenagers to experiment with sex; “children’s rights” allow them to decide for themselves and allow them a right to privacy, even excluding parental interference in their sexual behaviour, making “the parents the enemies of the children”. The international abortion and free sex movement cannot be separated from their eugenetic foundations. The spirit of death that rules in the eugenetic movement also pervades human relations in society. Jesus warned for this in Matth. 24:12.
- This IPPF has consultative status in the UN (directly and effectively influencing the UN agenda), with offices in the UN building and supporting a strong feminist lobby in the UN. The Pro Life lobby at the UN is primarily confronted (and aggressively so) by IPPF-lobbyists. The IPPF, heavily subsidised by many governments and by big organisations, now works in 183 countries. Its “planning services” consist of merely abortion clinics.
- Family planning differs from population control in that population control involves decisions taken by governments regarding the number of children couples ought to have, followed, eventually, by (coercive) measures to bring this about. The IPPF not only promoted birth control (under the name family planning), but it also promoted population control, co-operating with the UNFPA (UN Population Fund), the WHO, and the World Bank. Since the 60ies the US (and some other Western nations) demanded population control measures from developing nations. Since Cairo 1994 many developed nations make it a condition for giving development aid to developing nations. This is modern imperialism.
- Under the influence of the ideology of eugenetics the UN has always connected poverty to population growth. This is still the leading thread in the Millennium Development Goals. The UNFPA is playing a major role in this all. Their statistics, e.g. of maternal deaths, of illegal abortions, are proven lies. The Continent of Africa was always an important target for the IPPF and the UNFPA. At the moment they try, not without manipulation, to force the Maputo Plan of Action on member states of the African Union. This plan aims at implementing sexual and reproductive rights into the health systems of all nations in Africa, also when these nations do not want that. This again is modern imperialism.
Prayer point 6: Praying into the UN-conversion of the creation mandate.
- Pray that we boldly and matter-of-factly withstand the environmentalist accusation, that global ecology has been disturbed due to Christianity.
- However, let us repent that we have been lax as guardians of the creation.
- Pray that (Christian) politicians understand the injustice of the parameter of controlled economic growth for the developing nations and find ways around it.
- Pray that the overt “worship of Mother Earth” will be discerned by many more politicians, so that further influence in policies can be prevented.
- Pray that he Church may discern and be cleansed from the influence of New Age thinking, and may persevere and be faithful to her responsibility for the environment.
Background information on environmental issues in the UN.
- Since the first UN World Summit on Sustainable Development (WSSD I), 1992 at Rio de Janeiro, also called the Earth Summit, the concept of sustainability has been added to many issues (and especially to ‘’development”, the New Age concept for the development of humanity). Through WSSD II, Johannesburg 2002, which I attended, the concept of “sustain-ability” has become, so to say, “the fulfilment of the law”. The key to the understanding of the concept of “sustainability” is the Earth Charter, meant by its proponents to be the constitution for a New World Order.
- In 1970 a New Age event was organized, called “Earth Day”. The “Friends of the Earth” prepared the “Environmental Handbook”, presenting tactics of birth control information, as they believed that control of world population growth is simply a matter of survival of the human race. It suggested that not science and technology could get us out of the present ecological crisis but finding a new religion, to displace the values of Christianity” . The content of this book has been widely distributed and been influential all over the world.
- In 1972 the Club of Rome published “The Limits Of Growth”, and the establishment of the UN Environment Program (UNEP) seemed a logical step. In 1987 a 5 year plan “Campaign for the Earth” started. In that year the Brundtland Commission defined Sustainable Development as: ”Sustainable development seeks to meet the needs and aspirations of the present without compromising the ability to meet those of the future.” It is a holistic concept with 3 parameters: a controlled economy, a controlled flow of resources, social equality and equity (and, a proposed #4, the influence of civil society -the NGO’s-).
- At the end of the 5-year campaign, at the 1992 WSSD I, the Earth Summit, this concept of “Sustainable Development’ became key for all the “Plans of Action”, that came out of the global UN-conferences. The UN environmental policies however are dominated, not by preserving the earth’s resources for human use, but by trying to preserve “Mother Earth” against the so-called threat of overpopulation. The “Earth” is said not to be able to carry more than one billion (some now say not more than 300 million) inhabitants. We are now over 6 billion; how bizarre, and what means have to be used to accomplish that? Though for years the UN Statistic Department and other population-experts have warned of under-population, over-population is stressed over and over again. The preservation of “Mother Earth”, or “Gaia, Mother Earth”, has been presented as an inter-religious reasoning for the preservation, with “sustainability” as a, seemingly neutral, key.
- In June 2000 the “Earth Charter” was published, and religiously celebrated a day before WSSD II. It was meant to be “an inspiration and guide for all people, communities and countries for improving their relationships with each other, with other species sharing our fragile planet and with Earth generally”. In the preamble we read: “We urgently need a shared vision of basic values to provide an ethical foundation for the emerging world community. Therefore, together in hope we affirm the following inter-dependent principles for a sustainable way of life as a common standard by which the conduct of all individuals, organizations, businesses, governments, and transnational institutions is to be guided and assessed… The common concern of humanity transcends the rights of individual States and all strictly human concerns.” (www.earthcharter.org). This document has been promoted as “new charter for human behaviour”, a “New Ten Commandments”, “a constitution for a New World Order”.
- In fact this is a return to pantheďsm. Religious/cultural values are made subordinate to these demands! Against the creation mandate, to fill the earth and control it (as very good stewards), the Earth Charter instructs us to obey Earth, or Gaia, the New Age goddess. Ratification of this Charter will challenge Christians to consider seriously as to how far they can obey their governments on this point. Animated discussions in the run up to the establishment of the International Criminal Court (ICC) suggest that especially these citizens will be at the UN’s test.